Dr. Matranga focuses on cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and mindfulness-based CBT applied in an individualized, compassionate manner.
Dr. Jeff Matranga founded Health Psych Maine (HPM) in 2000 with Jeri Wilson and was clinical director and owner of until October, 2019, when he transitioned to semi-retirement (more explanation below) and passed the leadership and ownership baton over to the very competent and caring hands of David Meyer, Ph.D. and Eliza Meyer.
Dr. Jeff Matranga is grateful to have been surrounded by a team of excellent professionals and support staff, including his wife, Jeri Wilson, who did a fabulous job as practice manager. He is also grateful to long-time colleagues Jonathan Borkum, Ph.D., Stacy Whitcomb-Smith, Ph.D., and Chantal Mihm, Ph.D., along with Dave Meyer, Ph.D and the other clinicians. Over the years, we grew from 2 to 8 providers and the support staff grew accordingly.
Although Dr. Matranga is no longer a regular part of HPM, he does see some people on a self-pay basis. If you are interested in that, please contact him by this email or by calling the main office for Health Psych Maine and they can give you his phone number.
Dr. Matranga is a psychologist specializing in:
- Health Psychology/Behavioral Medicine such as coping with and adjusting to chronic and catastrophic illness and making lifestyle changes to increase wellness.
- Treatment of anxiety disorders including worry/Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD), Panic Disorder, Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Acute Stress Disorder, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), and Social Anxiety Disorder (also known as Social Phobia).
- 30+ years of experience working in medical settings providing integrated and collaborative health psychology-related care.
- Diplomate (ABPP) in Clinical Health Psychology, American Board of Professional Psychology (1996).
- Fellow, American Academy of Clinical Health Psychology (ACHP) since 1996.
- Board of Directors, American Academy of Clinical Health Psychology (ACHP), 2011-2016.
- Advisory Board for the Prevention and Healthy Living program at MaineGeneral Medical Center, 2013-present. Created by the philanthropy of Peter Alfond, the programs offer affordable wellness programs in topics ranging from healthy cooking to meditation and yoga.
- Teacher of the Year, 2010, awarded from the graduating Family Medicine residents of the Maine-Dartmouth Family Medicine Residency program for “outstanding teaching and dedication to our education and growth.”
- President of Maine Psychological Association, 2012 & 2013. Have served in other roles over the years, including President-Elect, 2010 & 2011; Past-President 2014 & 2015.
- Served on Maine Board of Examiners of Psychologists, 2002-2003.
- Post-doctoral fellowship in Behavioral Medicine, University of Utah Medical Center, August, 1987 – August, 1988.
- Master of Science in Clinical Psychopharmacology (450 classroom hours) awarded in 2002.
- Passed the Psychopharmacology Examination for Psychologists (PEP) in 2004.
- Director of Psychology and Director of Behavioral Medicine at MaineGeneral Medical Center (formerly Mid-Maine Medical Center), 1991-1998. As Director of Physical & Behavioral Medicine, was able to increase financial net by 810% in five years, bringing department out of the red into solid functioning.
- Have given several presentations at national meetings of the American Psychological Association and to various groups within the state of Maine including physician groups, psychologists, nurse practitioners, diabetes educators, counselors, and other collaborating professionals.
On the personal side, Dr. Matranga and his wife, Jeri Wilson, now alternate between Tucson, Arizona, and Missoula, Montana, while Dr. Matranga does some video sessions back to Maine. Jeff has enjoyed running since 1973 and has been balancing that with regular yoga since 2008; he enjoys taking classes from his favorite instructor – his wife, Jeri Wilson, and previously the other teachers at School Street Yoga. Dr. Matranga (Jeff) and his wife (Jeri), a breast cancer survivor, have been meditating daily for over a decade and sometimes teach introduction to meditation. Although glacially slow in this chapter of life:
- Jeri (breast cancer survivor) and Jeff completed their first full marathon (26.2 miles) together in January of 2018 (Phoenix), approaching the training as an extension of their mindfulness practice and as a celebration of life.
- Jeff & Jeri completed the Tucson Marathon in December of 2018.
- With their son, Wes, Jeff completed the Missoula Montana Marathon twice, in 2018 and 2019, making for 4 completed full marathons in 18 months.
- On October 12, 2019, Jeff completed his first ultramarathon, the Navajo- and spiritually-grounded Canyon de Chelly Ultramarathon in Arizona.
- In May of 2022 at age 64, Jeff ran Rim-to-Rim (R2R) across the Grand Canyon, from the North Rim to the South Rim, 24 miles, 6,000 feet of descent and then 5,150 feet of climbing.
- Jeri & Jeff continue to trail run together in the American West, approaching in mindfully and as a form of spirituality.
Dr. Matranga is also active with photography.